Bear is The Addams Family's enormous stuffed bear.
He stands to the left of the stairs in the Living Room of The Addams Family Mansion. When Cousin Nanook gave the Addamses a Totem Pole for Xmas, he asked for the Bear in return. The Bear eventually returned to his normal position without explanation, and the Totem Pole moved to the right of the stairs. He later inexplicably changes to a polar bear (yet remains brown in the title sequence). The brown version reappears (in recycled footage).
Uncle Fester washed him with kerosene instead of Easy Clean, then accidentally burned him to ashes. Arthur J. Henson, manager of their insurance company, eventually found them a replacement in Alaska, the brown bear from Season One, though Fester sets that afire too.
Though he appears in most episodes as mere decoration, he is given more screen time in The Addams Family original series episodes:
- "Morticia, the Matchmaker"
- "Art and the Addams Family"
- "The Winning of Morticia Addams" - growls at Dr. Chalon
- "Cousin Itt's Problem"
- "Uncle Fester, Tycoon" - hit by Gomez' croquet shot
- "Morticia and Gomez vs. Fester and Grandmama" - playing ring toss
- "Ophelia Finds Romance" - stabbed by Gomez
- "Lurch's Little Helper" - brushed by Lurch
- "The Addams Policy" - burned to ashes
The New Addams Family episodes:
- "Uncle Fester's Toupee" (new)
- "Close Encounters of the Addams Kind"
- "Addams Family Feud"
- "The Addams Policy" (new) - disintegrated