|Series||The Addams Family (TV Series)|
|Original Airdate||March 12, 1965|
|Teleplay by||Sloan Nibley and Preston Wood|
|Story by||Preston Wood|
Gomez is playing Admiral John Paul Addams in the play room, but Uncle Fester is tired of playing Benedict Arnold, so Gomez lets him fire the cannon at the painting of the frigate on the wall. Fester thus break the water pipes for the fourth time in a row. Their insurance company agrees to pay for the repair, but only because that will allow them to cancel the policy. Fester feels bad that the insurance coverage has been canceled and decides he'd better get a job to pay for a new policy himself, so he becomes an insurance salesman. Unfortunately, it's for their old company, and the only policy he sells is to the Family. Arthur J. Henson, the manager, wants Gomez to cancel, but Gomez refuses, saying it would break Fester's heart. Henson then calls the company's owner to report a swindle, but it turns out that Gomez is the owner. Gomez promotes Henson's underling to be Henson's new boss. Fester then breaks the water mains again, but at least their insurance covers it..
- When Uncle Fester has a mishap, he says it could happen to anybody, and Gomez says, "Not to an Addams," and suggests the kids take care of the task next time. There is some back and forth over whose uncle Fester is, but this suggests he is not Gomez' father's brother. Later on, though, he talks to Fester about showing the Addams spirit
- Mr. Horace Beesley is the Addams' insurance agent. He is an associate at the Arthur J. Henson Insurance Agency. They are a franchise of "Excelso-Fidelity Insurance"
- When Fester is searching for a job, he is reading the ads in The Los Angeles Times.
- Uncle Fester's father paid him to stay out of the public for 37 years
- Uncle Fester is literally magnetic
- In this episode, eating both Gopher Loaf, Buzzard Broth, and Scorpion Pate on fresh toadstools with "gob of divine" belladonna sauce is mentioned
- Uncle Fester once got trapped in the Tunnel of Love
- Gomez pays his premium in solid gold doubloons
- One of Gomez' businesses was Addams Motors...Winthrop ran it into the ground in three months, although Morticia say Gomez could have done it in one
- Parley Baer, the veteran character actor, had hundreds of credits to his name, including as Doc Appleby on The Dukes of Hazzard
- Bebe Kelly, who has a small role as a secretary in this episode, may be best known as Nurse Clover in the M*A*S*H spin-off, Trapper John, M.D.
- Gomez: "Well, that was a letdown. I merely stated my position with impeccable logic, and the poor devil caved in."
- Fester: "If it's all the same to you, I'd rather lie here and snivel."
Links and References
Parley Baer as Arthur J. Henson
Eddie Quillan as Horace Beesley
Bebe Kelly as Secretary
| Previous episode:|
Thing is Missing
|Episodes of The Addams Family (TV Series)|| Next episode:|
Lurch and His Harpsichord