|Series||The Addams Family (TV Series)|
|Original Airdate||December 4, 1964|
|Teleplay by||Hannibal Coons and Harry Winkler|
Cousin Melancholia comes to seek solace at the Addams home. Melancholia's fiancee, Fred, has left to join the Foreign Legion. Morticia is determined to find her a new man. Gomez phones up Hasty Marriage, but after their experience with Cousin Gripe they hang up on him. Morticia suggests that Gomez use his vast business contacts to find an eligible bachelor for Melancholia, but he is unable to find anyone for Melancholia either.
Gomez receives a call from his lawyer, Charles P. Harvey, regarding Gomez's Game Preserve in Nairobi. Harvey hates to go over, but his firm needs Gomez's approval for a big deal. Gomez doesn't want to deal with business matters until Melancholia's problem is solved. When he realizes Mr. Harvey is a bachelor, Gomez calls him back and invites him over. Mr. Harvey is reluctant to go, but his boss insists. When he arrives, Grandmama hits him with love dust, which has no effect. Meanwhile Morticia has given the plain Melancholia a makeover. Mr. Harvey waits for Gomez, and Melancholia, looking like Morticia, arrives downstairs and proceeds to try to get Mr. Harvey to propose. Then Fred arrives - he joined the American Legion, not the Foreign Legion. Thinking Harvey is flirting with his girl, he punches out his lights and takes his girl back. When Harvey recovers, Morticia promises to find him another cousin to marry. Gomez likes him, too, which prompts the poor lawyer to flee and join the Foreign Legion.
- Cousin Gripe and Uncle Crimp are referenced in this episode.
- When Melancholia gets an eyeful of the Bear, Cousin Farouk, Pierre, and Thing, she remarks "So good to be where you feel at home."
- Morticia says Cleopatra is too young to take tea.
- Though the credits list him as Charles P. Harvey, Melancholia introduces him to Fred as Ralph, the only time his first name is spoken.
- Despite Jackie Coogan, Lisa Loring, and Ken Weatherwax being credited, they only appear in the opening and closing credits.
Links and References
Hazel Shermet as Cousin Melancholia
Lee Goodman as Charles P. Harvey
Barry Kelley as James Ferguson
Hal Baylor as Fred
Lennie Bremen as Cab Driver
| Previous episode:|
The Addams Family Meet the VIPs
|Episodes of The Addams Family (TV Series)|| Next episode:|
Lurch Learns to Dance