|The Addams Family Musical|
|Starring|| Nathan Lane|
|Directed By|| Phelim McDermott|
|Written By|| Marshall Brickman|
The Addams Family is a musical stage show based on Charles Addams' characters from the cartoons rather than the television and film characters.
After a tryout in Chicago, the show opened on Broadway in April 2010. The original cast featured Nathan Lane as Gomez and Bebe Neuwirth as Morticia. An original Broadway cast recording was released on June 8, 2010. A US national tour began September 2011 and an Australian Production opened in Sydney, March 2013.
In March 2011, Nathan Lane was replaced by Roger Rees as Gomez.
The Beineke Family
Not originally created by Charles Addams, the Beineke family was introduced in the 2010 musical, as Wednesday and Lucas plan a dinner for their two families to meet. Coming from Ohio, they were described as "straight arrow Midwesterners."
- Lucas Beineke, Wednesday's boyfriend. He and Wednesday planned to get married.
- Mal Beineke, Lucas's father. He worked for a unnamed demolition/real estate company.
- Alice Beineke, Lucas's mother. She loved to rhyme, and to spout happy poems at random.
The ghoulish Addams family is visiting the graveyard for an annual gathering of all family members (living, dead, and undecided) to celebrate what it is to be an Addams ("When You're an Addams"). Uncle Fester stops the Ancestors' return to their graves to enlist their help. He explains that Wednesday, under protest, has invited her new (normal) boyfriend, Lucas Beineke, and his parents, Mal and Alice, to dinner. While torturing Pugsley on a rack, Wednesday admits that love is pulling her in a new direction ("Pulled"). Meanwhile, Morticia and Gomez worry about her changing ways ("Where Did We Go Wrong").
As the Beinekes arrive, Wednesday and Lucas instruct their families to act normal so they can all enjoy a simple dinner ("One Normal Night"). But the moment Lurch ushers the Beinekes into the mansion, tensions begin to mount. Mal wants to tear down the old house, Alice begins to spout happy poems at random, Pugsley, Fester, and Grandma fail at acting normal, and Wednesday, after wearing black for eighteen years, appears in a bright yellow dress. Later, Lucas and Wednesday, away from their families, reveal that the reason they brought their families together is to announce that they are getting married. Gomez and Mal share a drink where Mal is introduced to Bernice, the family's giant pet squid, and Alice admits to Morticia that her marriage to Mal has grown passionless. Morticia then hears Wednesday call her old and worries that she's getting crows feet. She turns down Gomez's request to tango, leaving him alone and unsatisfied ("Morticia"). Meanwhile, Pugsley is worried that Wednesday's lovelife means she won't torture him anymore. He steals a potion from Grandma after she reveals it will bring out someone's dark nature. Pugsley plans to slip it to Wednesday at dinner ("What If?").
At dinner, "The Game" is played, where each person at the table confesses something ("Full Disclosure"). Gomez tells a story about scaring away crows and their feet, but upsets Morticia by accidentally comparing her to a goat, while Uncle Fester admits he's in love with the moon. In a mix-up, Alice drinks Pugsley's potion and in front of everyone declares her marriage to Mal a loveless mess as she reveals her misery and woe ("Waiting"). As Mal, humiliated, attempts to leave with his family, Wednesday announces that she and Lucas are getting married, to which Lucas sheepishly agrees. Chaos engulfs both families, and Uncle Fester, trying to be helpful, instructs the Ancestors to create a sudden, terrible storm, trapping everyone in the mansion for the night ("Full Disclosure - Part 2").
During the storm, Wednesday tries to leave, but Lucas wants to stay and work things out with their families, leading the pair to have their first fight. Later, Morticia fears she is no longer relevant to her own family, and reminds herself that death is waiting for her ("Just Around The Corner"). Pugsley asks her if there is a monster under the bed. She tells him there is and he relaxes but cannot bring himself to confess what he did to Alice. Uncle Fester calls for an interlude as he plays his ukulele, singing a love song to the Moon ("The Moon and Me").
Walking out in the yard, Wednesday runs into Gomez. He is happy she's found someone to love, yet sad that his daughter is growing up ("Happy/Sad"). Wednesday is left worrying that she and Lucas are too different. Then as a show of trust, Lucas blindfolds Wednesday and lets her shoot an apple off his head with a crossbow ("Crazier Than You"). She succeeds, and the two embrace. In the grotto, Gomez and Fester attempt to get Mal to open up about his feelings, to no avail ("Let's Not Talk About Anything Else But Love"). He's ultimately kidnapped by Bernice and pulled into the sewers. Grandma, hearing the word "love", comes to sing with Gomez and Fester ("Let's Not Talk About Anything Else But Love (Reprise)"). Moments after, Alice is led down to the grotto by Lurch where Mal, now back from his swim with Bernice, has learned to appreciate what he has after spending time in the arms of a passionate squid and announces he still loves Alice ("In The Arms"). Gomez now goes up to the rooftop to profess his love for Morticia ("Live Before We Die"). They kiss and begin to tango ("Tango de Amor").
With all the couples reunited, Pugsley admits to slipping the potion to Alice, but is congratulated since it brought everyone together. Uncle Fester, wearing a rocket, tells everyone he's flying off to be with the moon. As the families sing one last ballad, they are all shocked as Lurch sings out loud for the first time, just as a puff of smoke is seen on the moon, signaling Fester has just landed ("Move Toward the Darkness").
Original Broadway Cast
- Nathan Lane as Gomez Addams (2009-2011)
- Bebe Neuwirth as Morticia Addams (2009-2011)
- Kevin Chamberlin as Uncle Fester (2009-2011)
- Krysta Rodriguez as Wednesday (2009-2011)
- Adam Riegler as Pugsley (2009-2011)
- Zachary James as Lurch (2009-2011)
- Jackie Hoffman as Grandmama (2009-2011)
- Terrence Mann as Mal Beineke (2009-2011)
- Carolee Carmello as Alice Beineke (2009-2011)
- Wesley Taylor as Lucas Beineke (2009-2011)
- Roger Rees as Gomez Addams (2011)
- Brooke Shields as Morticia Addams (2011)
- Brad Oscar as Uncle Fester (2011)
- Rachel Potter as Wednesday (2011)
- Adam Grupper as Mal Beineke (2011)
- Heidi Blickenstaff as Alice Beineke (2011)
- Jesse Swensen as Lucas Beineke (2011)
US National Tour Cast
- Douglas Stills as Gomez Addams (2011-2012)
- Sara Gettelfinger as Morticia Addams (2011-2012)
- Blake Hammond as Uncle Fester (2011-2012)
- Cortney Wolfson as Wednesday (2011-2012)
- Patrick D. Kennedy as Pugsley (2011-2012)
- Tom Corbeil as Lurch (2011-2012)
- Pippa Pearthree as Grandmama (2011-2012)
- Martin Vidnovic as Mal Beineke (2011-2012)
- Crista Moore as Alice Beineke (2011-2012)
- Brian Justin Crum as Lucas Beineke (2011-2012)
Other Tour Casts
- Stephen Donovan as Gomez Addams (2015)
- Christina Samanie as Morticia Addams (2015)
- Joseph Yesso as Uncle Fester (2015)
- Maddie Rodrigue as Wednesday Addams (2015)
- Lucas Prestenbach as Pugsley Addams (2015)
- Kirsten Bazet as Grandmama (2015)
- Laughlin Grace as Lurch (2015)
- Will Curth as Mal Beineke (2015)
- Madison Rousse as Alice Beineke (2015)
- Jacob McManus as Lucas Beineke (2015)
- Book by Marshall Brickman and Rick Elice
- Music and Lyrics by Andrew Lippa
- Direction and Design by Phelim McDermott and Julian Crouch
- Choreography by Sergio Trujillo
- Lighting by Nathasha Katz
- Sound by Acme Sound Partners
- Puppetry by Basil Twist
- Music Direction by Mary-Mitchell Campbell
- Casting by Telsey + Company
- Produced by Stuart Oken, Roy Furman and Michael Leavitt
- Five Cent Productions
- Elephant Eye Theatrical
The UK premiere of The Addams Family was announced on 5 September 2016, and opened at the Edinburgh Festival Theatre in Edinburgh in April 2017 before embarking on a major UK tour. It will be touring in the United Kingdom until November 4,2017 and will be in Singapore with a few changes in casting from November 15th to December 3, 2017. The lyrics to a few songs from the show were altered to have more current references and to appeal its British audience.
- Samantha Womack as Morticia Addams
- Les Dennis as Uncle Fester
- Carrie Hope Fletcher as Wednesday Addams
- Cameron Blakely as Gomez
- Valda Aviks as grandma
- Grant McIntyre as Pugsley
- Dale Rapley as Mal Beineke
- Oliver Ormson as Lucas Beineke
- Charlotte Page as Alice Beineke
- Dickon Gough as Lurch
- Kathryn Barnes (Swing)
- Jessica Buckby
- Pérola Congo (Assistant Dance Captain)
- Gavin Eden (Swing, Dance Captain)
- Jacob Fisher
- Christopher D Hunt
- Kristy Ingram
- Rhona McGregor
- Scott Paiga
- Jack Skelly
- ↑ Jaques, Damien (2009-12-17). ""Addams Family" heads to Broadway, via Chicago". OnMilwaukee.com. http://www.onmilwaukee.com/ent/articles/addamsfamilymusical.html. Retrieved 2010-12-04.